Friday, August 5, 2011

Letting Go...

Okay, sometimes things don't go our way.  We set out on our path and expect everyone else to understand our vision and our goal, but they are wearing different glasses or looking a different direction.  I have to bite my tongue in these situations (although sometimes not quick enough) and not say too much!  But when is it okay to expect something from others?  And how do we determine that ability to communicate our need without offending the friend, family member, or co-worker?

I am still a work in progress, believe me, but I am starting to discover three very important truths: 1. Wait for emotions to settle before communicating your needs. 2. Actually explain to the other person what you need and why it is important. 3. Letting go once you have shared your need and moving on without recriminations, hurt feelings, or embarrassment.

Once I have moved on, I realize that my truths and perspectives are just that~ mine.  I can only hold myself accountable for my words and actions.  Luckily, my faith in God helps to temper me, because although I am not red-headed, my temper can be.  He is always there to help me say and do the right things, or to at least make amends when I don't.

So, now, I am letting go of the prickles and the burrs, and exchanging them for a cup of tea and a good book.  Letting go... ahh.  It feels so devine.

1 comment: