Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Last School Bell...

August 4th, 2011

Summer is winding down and for the first time in 30 years, I am not putting up bulletin boards, writing lesson plans, or attending a week of inservices. I have created a treasure of more than a thousand student names in both my memory and my soul, but I will not be part of the new Texas "STAR" testing, looking for ways to integrate curriculum, or signing up for Sunshine Club, Social Studies Cadres, or professional teaching organizations...

So just what am I supposed to feel?  So many of my friends have asked if I am sad, and surprisingly, I am not.  How many opportunities does one have to celebrate thirty years of the perfect job!  And yes, I mean the PERFECT job. 

I received a text from a student's mom today that just said, "You are beautiful.  You are loved. Thank you for being a blessing teaching my son." How can I receive a message like that and not feel that my journey was worth the hairpin curves, the U-turns, or the roadblocks of the last three decades?

To the teachers that remain in the classroom... stay true to your journey.  You will discover such amazing truths along the way.  You will cherish the lit up eyes of a student as he understands more than just a concept;  he discovers a joy for learning.  Write down the small successes and look back to them on the days that seem long. They are sweeter than chocolate and have tons fewer calories.

The last school bell has rung in the hallways for me, but oh, I will carry the laughter from the classrooms for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

  1. It has been such a blessing to serve in SBISD together...- I am going to have to adjust to not being with you on committees, etc! Go forth and blaze trails, girlfriend! I will be in you in a few years!

    ReplyDelete